Friday, December 12, 2008

Joyful Joyful #6: Making a Wish and Checking it Twice

Macy's has a wonderful Christmas campaign this year called "Macy's Believe" . You may have seen the commercials with celebrities telling Virginia that there is a Santa Clause. Here is what they have going on:


For every child that brings a letter to Santa into the store, they are donating $1 to the Make-a-Wish Foundation . This is near and dear to my heart because, not only did I work for the Make-a-Wish foundation for a bit during college, but I also got to make a wish.

For those who do not know, here is a bit of my story: I was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer when I was 15. 18 months of chemotherapy and a few surgeries later, the cancer was gone. It was a tough battle at a tough time in life, but I am thankful for all of the many blessings that came out of it. One of these blessings was getting to Make-A-Wish. My wish was to go to New York to see Broadway shows. It was an absolutely amazing trip: flying first class, staying in a great hotel right in Times Square, getting to see a show every night for a week with incredible seats, getting a tour of NBC studios (including SNL & meeting Rosie O'Donnell and seeing her show), and getting to shop, relax and spend time with my family. It was a slice of normalcy in a time that was anything but normal. It gave me hope to keep on trucking and feeling like my pre-cancer self brought me and my family so much joy.

Because of this, I encourage you to support this campaign. If you have kids, siblings, nieces, babysit-ees- any connection to a child- have them write a quick letter and drop it off. Fun for them, but even more fun for kids who are battling life threatening illnesses.

For more information on The Make-a-Wish Foundation, please visit their website.

Also, if you visit Macy's website for the Believe campaign , you can turn yourself into Santa. Here is my lovely creation:


I have to warn you, it is a little creepy when your picture starts ho-ho-ho-ing and laughing.

I am off to work on my Christmas cards (a post of them coming at the beginning of next week). If I could make a wish right now, it would be that my cards would finish themselves. If only...

No comments: